Thursday 5 September 2013

Isabella Tan- Papilion exclusively for you

hey guys, so i interviewed isabella personally and here are the Q and A just for my blogger fans.
well, for those who wont know her, dont worry, you will get to know her after this.
recently, she had her photography exhibition and i am so AMAZEEEEE by her work, not just the photography but the concept and editing, its just so so so amazing.


so here it is





1) What makes you want to venture into photography when you first got your dslr? and WHat was your first lens?

It's a complicated story. My first dslr was a Canon 500D and I got the kit lens. It was awful haha, the lens I mean but the camera was brilliant as a starter DSLR. I've always loved art but I never found the right medium to compose and bring my ideas and thoughts to life and then I found photography.





2)What was in your head when you plan your first photoshoot?
My first photoshoot wasn't even planned, that was the beauty of it I think. Photography doesn't have to be planned sometimes--it can be spontaneous and that spontaneity brings out a lot of the art. However I guess I was just thinking of that time "lets make her beautiful."




3) What was your theme? Didn't really have a theme hahaha. I did her makeup, grabbed a sheet and went "lets go take photos!"





4) Did you had good feedbacks after your first photoshoot? I did. It was surprising for me because it was done out of fun. But the most rewarding part about it was what she felt after the photoshoot and how she changed because of it.






5)How did you juggle between studies and photoshoot? I didn't! And I'm still juggling now! I guess it's just a balance. It's difficult because I love photography so much my photos keep building up and I don't leave enough time to edit all of them. I have a bunch of photos to edit now and school's starting soon. It's all about time management. Hopefully I can do it well haha.






6)have you ever thought your photography page would be what it is today or perhaps you hope to showcase in an exhibition? No way. I really didn't. It's nothing special really, nothing to brag about or something but it's been an amazing journey and I'm so grateful for all the support.





7) How long have you been in the photography line and Was it hard to get a MUA or models back then? 
Two years actually but one year on a more professional scale. It was SO HARD to get a MUA back then--and I had to be the make up artist which wasn't too much of a problem... I loved doing makeup for friends. I'm lucky in the sense that my friends are all beautiful people and brave enough to model for me.







8) Were you proud that your model melissa was one of the finalist for Asia's Next Top Model? 
I am so proud of Melissa. She's like a sister to me and funny story, I did the portfolio and everything for her to enter even though she didn't but that girl has grown so much on her own in the competition I am so happy


this is melissa



10) how would you want to say to other photographers?


Hahaha I can't imagine how anyone would want to be like me but I guess, "Never give up. Go for it. Even if it's crazy, even if people tell you you can't, do it anyway. Because at the end of the day, you're your own best audience. And your art is a reflection of yourself."



11) Any photography tips? Lighting. LIGHTING. PLEASE DON'T PHOTOGRAPH IN BLAND LIGHT. Oh and the lens is more important than the camera body.




12) What inspired you to think of all those themes you did and the props? or was it like "i have this crazy idea" My inspiration comes from everywhere. I have a really short attention span so I'm constantly alert and on the lookout from stuff. I get ideas from stories, magazines, online photo websites (flickr/deviantart), music and yeah, just crazy ideas too.






13) Was your parents supportive? 

No but they are more supportive now, they sent me to NYU to study the arts but it was a long long battle and I think they still secretly want me to study business.
She takes the risk in trying out something new and she does not think soo much, just go with the flow.. shows that you gotta prove to parents your hard work to get their support eh??

here is part 2 on the technical side.

1) What was the first thing that came in your mind to name your exhibition before papilion? Growth. Rebirth. Beauty. I guess those were the three words that came to mind and my image was of a butterfly. I've always had a thing for flight, it's my idea of freedom.



2) How did you cope? It was so hard. So so hard. I don't think I've ever stressed out so much I had the worst breakout that week. Thank god for my friends and the people who supported me but the biggest reason for me being sane is my boyfriend who kept me on the straight and narrow that entire time.
these are raw pic taken in a canvas during the exhibition 
1) did you have a background for editing or you slowly learn Self-taught, and youtube is your friend. 2) What editing software do you use? Photoshop and Lightroom


3) did you need a second opinion after you edit or you know its good and it will be good? I'm VERY undecisive but it varies. Sometimes I need a second opinion but sometimes if I'm really in love with my photo, it's my decision alone to decide on what's good and what's not.


these are raw pic taken in a canvas during the exhibition




3) Any quotes/advise to young photographers?

Just keep taking photos. Take photos of everything and anything. You think you know what you're good at? You're wrong. And you won't know just how far you can go without pushing yourself.









She is young 19 years old who is just striving towards her passion currently studying Film/TV in NYU but I may double major in Photography


"never give up your passion"

No comments:

Post a Comment